Dr Andrew Higgs (MBBS, MSc, FRACS, FAOrthA)Orthopaedic Surgeon
Dr Andrew Higgs is an Orthopaedic Surgeon that specialises in surgery of the Foot and Ankle. Andrew completed specialist qualifications in Orthopaedic Surgery from the Royal Australasian College of Surgeons. Andrew then travelled to Europe to work alongside the most respected Foot and Ankle Surgeons in France, Austria and the United Kingdom.
Andrew is also a surgeon in the Australian Defence Force and has deployed on multiple active service deployments. On his most recent tour Andrew was awarded the U.S. Army Commendation Medal.
Andrew is married and the father of two boys.
Andrew is approachable, personable and professional, your patients can be assured of his attention and care always.
- M.B.B.S Sydney University, Australia
- MSc University of Dundee, Scotland
- Fellow of the Royal Australasian College of Surgeons FRACS
- Fellow of the Australian Orthopaedic Association FAOrthA
- Senior Lecturer in Orthopaedic Surgery, University of Notre Dame (UNDA).
- Conjoint Lecturer, University of New South Wales (UNSW).
- Royal Australasian College of Surgeons
- Australian Orthopaedic Association
- Australian Orthopaedic Foot and Ankle Society
- American Orthopaedic Foot and Ankle Society
- American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons
- Academy of Surgical Educators- RACS
- Australian Medical Association
- Osteosynthesis and Trauma Care Foundation- Faculty
- Australasian Trauma Society
- Australasian Military Medicine Association
Specialist Overseas Fellowships 2008-2009
Orthopaedic Fellow (Foot and Ankle Surgery)
Avon Orthopaedic Centre
Orthopaedic Fellow (Foot and Ankle Surgery)
Landesklinikum Wr. Neustadt
Wiener Neustadt Hospital
Orthopaedic Fellow (Foot and Ankle/Joint Arthroplasty)
St Vincent’s Hospital
Honours and Awards
- St Vincent’s Foundation Travelling Fellowship Award
- John Overton Award, NSW/ACT Military Health Symposium
- ISAF (International Security Assistance Force) NATO Medal
- ISAF NATO Medal Multi-Tour Indicator
- Australian Active Service Medal with ICAT clasp
- Afghanistan Campaign Medal
- Returned from Active Service Badge
- Commemorative Medal (Netherlands) (Peace Operations)
- Operational Service Medal- Greater Middle East Region
- Operational Service Badge
- Australian Defence Medal
- US Army Commendation Medal
- HIGGS AR, Maughon MJ, Ruland RT, Reade MC: Effect of Uniform Design on the Speed of Combat Tourniquet Application: A Simulation Study. Military Medicine, 181 (8), pp 753-755, August 2016.
- Pritchard A, HIGGS AR, Reade M: Where to Next in Combat Casualty Care Research? Annual Update in Intensive Care and Emergency Medicine pages 747-764, 2014 Springer International Publishing (Book Chapter)
- Chambers AJ, Courtney B, HIGGS A and Reade M. Surgery for Blast Injuries: Experience of an Australian Surgical Team in Afghanistan. ANZ J of Surg Volume 81, Issue 3, March 2011, Pages: 110–112
- Lintz F, HIGGS A, Millet M, Winson I: The Role of Plantaris in Achilles Tendinopathy: A Biomechanical Study. Foot and Ankle Surgery 2011 Vol. 17, Issue 4 :252-5.
- Winson I and HIGGS A: The Use of Proximal Tibial Bone Graft in Foot and Ankle Surgery. Foot and Ankle Clinics of North America 2010 Dec;15(4):553-8.
- Rooney J, Khoo O, HIGGS AR, Small TJ and Bell S. Surgical Site Marking Does Not Affect Sterility ANZ Journal of Surgery, Volume 78, Issue 8, Date: August 2008, Pages: 688-689
Masters Research Project
HIGGS A: Percutaneous Vs. Open Achilles Tendon Repair; A Biomechanical Study. Master of Science Project, University of Dundee, Scotland 2014.
HIGGS AR: ‘Return to Australia’ – definitive management of complex limb trauma
Andrew Higgs. RACS Annual Scientific Congress, Adelaide, May 2017.
HIGGS AR: Mass Casualty Events: Limb Salvage Vs Amputation, RACS Annual Scientific Congress, Brisbane, May 2016.
HIGGS AR: Calcaneal Fractures MIS techniques (presentation and session chairman) APOA Congress, Melbourne Convention Centre, Melbourne 2016.
Kazemzadeh S, HIGGS AR, Gilles M, Courtenay B: Surgical management of distal radius fractures: Locked Volar Plating Vs Closed Reduction and Percutaneous Pinning, E Poster, AOA, Annual Scientific Meeting 2015.
HIGGS AR. Limb Injury: How to best manage major limb injuries. Trauma 2015, Australian Trauma Society, Gold Coast 2015.
HIGGS AR. Lisfranc Injuries. Instructional Course Lecture. AOA, Annual Scientific Meeting, Melbourne 2014.
HIGGS AR. Field Tourniquets in Battlefield Extremity Trauma- The Difference Between Life and Death. Combined RACS and ANZCA Annual Scientific Meeting, Singapore May 2014.
HIGGS AR, Krishnan M: Achilles Tendon Repair: A Biomechanical Study. AOA Annual Scientific Meeting. October 2012.
KRISHNAN M, HIGGS AR: Syndesmosis Injury: AOA annual conference. October 2012
Dhillon P, HIGGS AR, Winson I: The Anterior Drawer Test and Ankle Instability. Presented at both EFAS and AOFAS 2010.
HIGGS A. Surgial Support of Operation Slipper in Afghanistan. Tri Service Clinical Evening at St Vincents Clinic. August 2010.
F.Lintz, A.HIGGS, M.Millet, M.Adams, I.G.Winson. The Role of Plantaris Longus in Achilles Tendinopathy: A Biomechanical Study. EFAS, Geneva, Switzerland 2010
HIGGS A.R and Woodgate I.G. A Radiological Comparison of Cement Mantle Thickness around Total Knee Arthroplasty with or without the Use of Pressurized Carbon Dioxide Lavage. AOA Annual Scientific Meeting, Hobart Oct 2008
HIGGS AR, Saravanja D, Hatfield A, Kuo L, Solomon M. A New Surgical Technique for a Severe Slipped Femoral Capital Epiphysis. Australian Orthopaedic Registrars’ Association 2006 National Conference
HIGGS AR and Rooney J. Chronic Exertional Compartment Syndrome and Leg Pain in Runners. Instructional Course Lecture. Combined Australian and New Zealand Orthopaedic Associations, Scientific Meeting Canberra, Australia 2006
HIGGS AR Sorial R. Intramedullary Fixation in Osteoporotic Hip Fractures. Australian Orthopaedic Registrars’ Association 2006 National Conference
HIGGS AR, Koo O, Small T, Rooney J. ‘The Team Time Out’ A Question of Sterility. Australian Orthopaedic Registrars’ Association 2006 National Conference
Khoo O, HIGGS AR, Small T, Rooney J. Surgical Site Marking. Combined Australian and New Zealand Orthopaedic Associations, Scientific Meeting Canberra, Australia 2006
HIGGS AR and Higgs R. Carpal Coalition. NSW Hand Association Annual Conference. Canberra 2004
HIGGS AR, Higgs J, Higgs R. When Mesenchyme Fails to Cavitate. Australian Orthopaedic Registrars’ Association 2004 National Conference.
HIGGS AR, Damiani M, Dao Q, Sorial R: Gamma Nail Vs DHS. A Prospective Randomised Controlled Trial. NSW State Branch of the AOA June 2003.
HIGGS AR: Bone Tumours. Review of Current Surgical Management and Case Presentation. Australian Orthopaedic Nurses Association, Sydney, 4th Dec 2002.
Higgs RJED, HIGGS AR: A Simple Clinical Test to Distinguish Static, Dynamic and Pseudowinging of the Scapula. Combined New Zealand and Australian Orthopaedic Association, Scientific Meeting, Queenstown, New Zealand, October 2001 (Poster Presentation)